Thursday, July 23, 2009

In an effort to be concise, I'm going to try posting in bullet-points:

*Embarrassing moment of the week: finding someone else's underwear in my room, and having to explain to my "Tia Patti"(housekeeper) which underwear was mine and which was my host sister's...

*Last night I went to see Harry Potter with some friends and because of a timing mix-up we couldn't see the movie until 10:30pm, and since Harry Potter is almost three hours long, I didn't get home until 1am....(un)surprisingly I missed my 10am class, but the program directors didn't care and apparently it was the most boring lecture we've had so far, so at least I have good timing.

*For dinner tonight I had this crazy stew/souffle thing made of bread crumbs cooked with garlic and seasoning, then soaked in milk and cooked with egg, cheese and Italian squash. It looked sort of like beige vomit, but it tasted like a cross between thanksgiving stuffing and a cheese souffle, but with the consistency of mashed potatoes. Despite that description, it really was delicious.

*At the Museo Historico Nacional, which houses all sorts of posters, trunks, sofas, dioramas, paintings and weapons from throughout Chile's history, the coolest thing I saw was by far, half of President Allende's glasses. The remaining piece was found a week or so after the coup, sitting in his still bloody, smoking, rubble-filled office. Some woman was able to charm the soldier's guarding La Moneda into letting her see Allende's office and while inside, she recognized the fragmented glasses as Allende's, and somehow without attracting the soldier's attention, saved them. Years later, she donate them to the Museum and now they're quite iconic.


Well, I guess this post is somewhat shorter than my others...
there's always more I could write about, but I'll leave it at this:
today my professor talked about "una sociedad profunda donde las personas viven juntos con los animales y la naturaleza" aka Deep Ecology, which I spent all of last quarter learning about. Thats right, my Chilean professor of art and music is an adherent of Arnie Naess' Deep Ecology movement. Every chance he gets, he talks about the importance of human living in accordance with nature, and not being so anthropocentric. It makes me SOOOO happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment