So today I slept in, successfully used skype to videochat and then had a guided tour of the metro/micro(public buses) from my host mom. She was so on it! She drew me a map of multiple ways I could travel to school everyday, then took me on the most likely route! We literally took the metro only to point out both possible campuses and then take the metro home!
Then I gave my family their presents and they were super-excited, although I realized my host mom has diabetes and two out of the three gifts I gave them were sugar-based. Oops.
Finally 6 of my host sister's friends came over to hang out. They were all very nice, but the warning that Chileans have very tight-knit circles of friends which foreigners find hard to penetrate is true. These girls spoke a mile-a-minute, used almost exclusively Chilean slang even their parents couldn't understand, and mostly gossiped about people I had never met. Also, they all had nicknames that were impossibly similar, like Coni, Coti, Connie, Conina, and Candella. However, we did eat delicious take-out sushi, aka "suchi" which is all the rage in Santiago, and play very fun drinking games.
While it was sort of isolating sitting in the room just watching these girls chat because I had no idea what 4/5 words they said meant, it was also very entertaining-like my own personal Chilean reality tv show. Even though the words were totally foreign, the topics of conversation-crushes, music, politics and school-were exactly the same.
ps: In chile, the game "never have I ever" is called "nunca nunca" and "truth or dare" is called "verdad o castigo"
Saturday, July 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

omg how beautiful are those Andes!? nunca nunca yo he visto montanas tan fenominal! So happy to hear that you are getting to know the metro and the sushi... and I'm sure you'll break into the social circles soon, (or create your own)!
ReplyDelete